This sweet and simple one-pot wonder and traditional childhood favorite is delicious anytime.
Pasta e piselli (peas) with bacon
- 1 large diced white onion
- 1 minced large garlic clove
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 1/2 cup Marsala cooking wine
- 1 lb bacon, cut into 1” squares
- salt and pepper
- Grated Pecorino-Romano cheese for serving
- 1 lb small shell pasta or elbows
- On a medium heat in a large saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
- Separately, in a skillet, sauté the bacon until fully cooked but not burned.
- Combine the contents of the bacon skillet, fat and all, into the onion and garlic mixture.
- Add chicken stock, sherry and Marsala to your sauce pan and simmer on low for 5-7 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- In a separate pasta pot, boil your salted water for the pasta.
- While pasta is boiling, add peas to sauce pot containing the broth mixture.
- Take pasta out al dente and combine into the broth, peas, wine and bacon mixture.
- Stir on a very low simmer.
- Grate cheese on it when serving, if desired.
Did you make this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and tag @haveucoveredinthekitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #haveucoveredinthekitchen.