Baked Anelletti with Sausage and Peas in Individual Cocottes
- 1 bag of anelletti pasta
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb of ground pork (or half pork half ground beef combo)
- 2 cups peas, frozen
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1.5 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt, to taste
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease your cocottes with extra virgin olive oil.
- 2. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and cook until lightly golden and fragrant.
- 3. Stir in ground sausage and cook until browned.Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and peas.Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper as well as Pecorino Romano. Stir well to combine.
- 4. Reduce the heat, and cook for about 30 minutes.
- 5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta. Drain it 4 minutes before the time indicated on the package instructions so it’s less than al dente. Mix well with the sausage sauce. Add more grated cheese and stir well to combine.
- 6. Transfer the mixture into the cocottes and level it with a spatula or a spoon, topping each with additional mozzarella.
- 7. Bake for 20 minutes or until all cheese is melted.
- 8. Remove from the oven and let it cool for at least 5 minutes before serving. Serve and enjoy.