Tuscan Kale & Beans Soup with Lemon & Diced Tomato
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 – 32 ounce carton of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
- Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 large head of Lacinato kale, stemmed, washed thoroughly, and chopped or cut in slivers
- 2 cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano for serving
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy soup pot. Add the garlic and a little salt and crushed red pepper, if desired, and cook, stirring, until fragrant and golden, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and juice from the can, lemon, and another pinch of salt and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 10 minutes, until the tomatoes have cooked down slightly.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock and Parmigiano-Reggiano rind and bring to a boil.
- Add the kale, lowering heat, and simmering for another 10 minutes, until the kale is tender and the soup is fragrant. Taste, adjust salt, and add pepper.
- Stir in the beans and heat through for 5 minutes.
- Serve, sprinkling with chopped parsley and some more cheese over each bowl.