- 1 cup unsalted no-shell pistachios, roasted or raw, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil Cocoa powder, for garnish
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks*
- 1 teaspoon of pistachio or almond extract
- Approximately 28 ladyfingers (2 layers)
- 1 1/4 cup cooked espresso
- 1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
- Make the paste: In a food processor, add the shelled pistachios & blend until they form a smooth thick paste. Once smooth, add the 2 tablespoons of water, 1/3 cup powdered sugar and olive oil. Continue to blend until the pistachio butter balls together until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer beat egg yolks & sugar until thick, about 3-4 minutes. Add mascarpone cheese & whip until smooth. Add the pistachio/almond extract and mix. Remove 2/3 of the mixture into a separate small bowl. In the large bowl with the remaining 1/3 mixture, add the pistachio paste. Mix on high until smooth, wiping down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Add espresso & amaretto liqueur to a separate shallow bowl & dip each ladyfinger, both sides, for only 5 seconds at most (or they will crumble). Place half of the soaked ladyfingers on the bottom of a 9'x 9" baking dish, breaking them in half if necessary, to fit across.
- Spread the pistachio-mascarpone mixture on top of the first layer, smoothing it out to evenly cover. Place the second half of soaked ladyfingers on top. Spread the rest of the plain mascarpone mixture on top to cover the ladyfingers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, and up to 24 hours before serving. Garnish with chopped pistachios & cocoa powder.
- *Many people, in order to make sure it's safe to eat, will cook the egg yolks until hot on a double boiler, whisking briskly so they don't scramble, until the temperature reaches 170°F then cool them down to use in the recipe.